Monday, October 29, 2012

Buffet Olives 25km Trail Run–27 Oct 2012

I’ve been looking forward to this year’s Buffet Olives Trail Run for a while now for 2 reasons:
1) So far it’s the longest distance this year I’ve tackled – road or trail
2) I finally get to run in my new pair of Salomon Speedcross 3’s!
                                     127609
Before I get into the run, I’d just like to add that the Salomons are awesome trail shoes. I bought them specifically for 2+ hour runs, and they fit the bill perfectly – the first few km’s I couldn’t stop thinking: “damn these shoes are comfy – it’s like running on plush carpet!”
Onto the run: While the distance of the run is quite daunting, it’s definitely not as severe as some of my previous trails this year (looking at you Botmaskop Traverse!)
The organisation was excellent, as was the route markers – esp considering there were 3 trail routes and 2 MTB routes being run over 2 days. I just wish they would put marshals at the locations where the route split. Even though it’s clearly marked, you always get some poor sod who misses the turn. Shame – I could see the guy running the 14km’s heart drop into his socks when I told him he’d missed the turn about 2km’s back.
The route initially loops around the olive farm, and then follows a steady climb of jeep tracks deep into the forest. I initially thought the trail was quite boring (despite the awesome views), but was pleasantly surprised to meet quite a bit of single track on the way down. As far as technical difficulty goes – this run was quite easy – nothing like the Bastille Day run for example.
On to the good stuff:
DSC01308
DSC01313
DSC01316
DSC01329
DSC01331
DSC01334
DSC01337
DSC01339
DSC01341
DSC01371
DSC01390
DSC01395
… also one of the best goodie bags of the year + a medal at the finish!
DSC01400
Buffet Olives Trail Run 25km
Happy (Trail) Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment